Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Never see another Google text ad… ever!

Perhaps text ads are less annoying than banners, and perhaps they’re more effective, but I still don’t want to see them. No, I don’t care if it’s Google, the daahhhling of the “in” geek crowd, serving them up—they’re still ads.

Even though I use Firefox, I was never able to get rid of these text ads. Via a built-in Firefox function, I could easily ignore domains of images (via the right-click menu), but text was a different animal. I thought I was stuck. I was wrong.

Google serves their text ads in an iFrame, which to the non-techies out there, is basically an area of a page in which another page is loaded. It may not be clearly distinguishable from the parent page, but it’s coming it’s an external page. Therefore, the key is to block iFrames coming from ad servers, and in this case, Google’s ad servers. Here’s how to do it:

  1. Download and install Mozilla Firefox. It’s a superior browser, and it should be your default browser. Internet Explorer (IE) just doesn’t cut it anymore.
  2. Install the Adblock extension.
  3. Restart Firefox to complete Adblock’s installation.
  4. Go to the Tools > Extensions menu, highlight Adblock, and click the Options button.
  5. In the New Filter: input box, paste this: http://*.googlesyndication.com/*
  6. Ensure that in the Adblock preferences window, it is set to Remove ads, not Hide ads.
  7. Never see another Google ad!

UPDATE: This userContent.css technique by Neil Jenkins is probably even better. It will catch and block most ads (including Google text ads). The ones it doesn’t get can be defeated manually by Adblock.

BY THE WAY: Yes, I do run ads on my site, and if you block them, well, more power to ya.

No comments: